12 July 2007

Joining the blog

Hi, I am Suzanne Singleton-Brown . I work as a Teacher Librarian for three days at Wakehurst Public School and .3 days at Our Lady of Perpetual Succour Primary school. In a week I connect with 500 students through the two schools. Originally I was a Science Teacher ,so changing to being a Teacher-Librarian was an exciting learning experience. My initial experiences were mainly in reorganising both libraries to make them more user friendly. One is housed in a huge space while the other is in a tiny classroom. Both spaces now provide areas for children as they move through their school life, having separate beginning, intermediate and senior reading and research sections. Resources are nearly all computerised and we have experienced three different computer systems Oasis, Alice and Athena. This term I am going onto Client in the State system so my transition from Science Teacher to Librarian has certainly offered me challenges.

2 comments:

Marita Thomson said...

Welcome Suzanne! You have had some challenges but especially the different spaces are interesting to me, as I am dealing with a very small secondary library which I am trying to divide to provide class access to a reading area. Some pictures of different libraries and solutions would be interesting to share. I'll have a look at my pictures and would love to see some from others.

Anonymous said...

Yes Welcome Suzanne, your input on working in two such diverse situations will be so valuable to many of us who struggle with our Library spaces ...trying to use the space in the most effective and efficient ways. I'm looking forward to sharing some of your ideas